Inbetweeners-inspired logging trend making holidaymakers ill

Roshina Jowaheer



A new trend known as logging has left a number of holidaymakers seriously ill at resorts in Spain and Egypt after teenagers have been found purposely defecating in hotel swimming pools which they have copied from a scene in the Inbetweeners 2 movie.

One British tourist at a resort in Egypt suffered severe diarrhoea, nausea, stomach cramps, fever and fatigue due to the craze.

Law firm Simpson Millar said: "It appears some people gain a perverse pleasure from filming this obnoxious activity and putting the footage online."

Representing the 46-year-old holidaymaker, who stayed at The Red Sea Holiday Village, James Blower said: "It beggars belief that a swimming pool at a popular Red Sea resort should be so poorly supervised that such improper behaviour can go unnoticed."

Mr Blower added that his client was awarded a settlement of £2,000 from holiday firm TUI after her holiday was ruined and she was unable to work for days after returning home.

Last year, the Red Sea resort issued a warning to guests that they would be fined £1,400 if caught pooing in the pool.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Dr Lisa Ackerly, Visiting Professor of Environmental Health at University of Salford, said: "It's becoming a really serious problem and I have come across it before when investigating illness in hotels.

"Many hotels now have CCTV to keep an eye on the situation, as it can occur at night when the pool is unguarded."

In one incident, a British holidaymaker was left with a potentially lethal virus after teenagers copied the scene from the Inbetweeners movie (pictured above) and defecated in her Spanish hotel swimming pool.

Zara Farrant, 36, was left bed-ridden with severe stomach pains after the youths carried out the stunt.

The mum-of-two, who had been on holiday with her partner and children, became seriously ill when she returned to her Kent home from the holiday.

Doctors warned her she could be ill for up to six months after catching cryptosporidium, a waterborne virus that comes from human faeces and can cause kidney failure.

She said: "It's disgusting. I can't believe anyone would want to do that.

"The pool was closed for hours at a time while staff removed the offending items and cleaned the pool."



Related articles

Poo in the pool: Passengers sue over 'cruise from hell'

Yorkshire town puts dog poo photos on its calendar




%VIRTUAL-TripAdvisorWidget%

'The Inbetweeners 2': Fish Food Clip
'The Inbetweeners 2': Fish Food Clip


Boy Has Adorable Meltdown After Stepping in Dog Poo
Boy Has Adorable Meltdown After Stepping in Dog Poo