Dramatic footage of Everest avalanche




Dramatic footage has emerged of the moment climbers on Everest were sent running for their lives after a deadly earthquake in Nepal triggered an avalanche.

The 7.8-magnitude earthquake has left more than 3,600 people dead and a million potentially displaced. Many residents in Khatmandu have been left with out shelter for a third night as hospitals struggle to cope with the injured and dead.

The video shot by German climber, Jost Kobusch, shows the relaxed group suddenly gripped by panic as the ground shakes and a wall of snow engulfs their camp.

Read more on this at Huffington Post

British teen 'emotionally trashed' by quake ordeal

A British teenager who survived earthquake-triggered avalanches on Mount Everest has said he is 'emotionally trashed' after being rescued from his ascent.

Alex Staniforth, 19, from Chester, was at Camp 1 on the world's highest peak when the devastating quake hit, followed by yesterday's large aftershock which has hampered rescue efforts.

He was airlifted back to base camp this morning where he has joined other stranded climbers and is now waiting to be transferred to the capital, Khatmandu, so he can return to his family and friends in the UK.

Nepal's mountaineering department said at least 18 people had been killed on the mountain and 61 injured in the avalanche, while an unknown number were still missing.

In a statement, Mr Staniforth's support team said today: 'Alex was airlifted from Camp 1 back to Base Camp earlier this morning.

'His sleeping tent was destroyed by the avalanche and he feels extremely lucky to be alive.

'Alex is completely devastated at the tragic loss of lives of so many people, many whom he classed as friends both around Everest Base Camp and in the region.

'We are hoping that he can be airlifted to Kathmandu over the next 24 hours for his safe passage home to his family and friends.'

Earlier a tweet from his team in the UK said: 'From Alex: Evacuated to base camp. Emotionally trashed and all gear swept away. Very lucky to be alive, please let everyone know.'

The teenager's mother, Debbie Brooks, said: 'We are all very worried but very relieved that Alex is unhurt and now at Base Camp after being stranded at Camp 1 for two nights.

'We just want to get him home now so we know he is safe. We are very sad for the families who have not been so lucky and our thoughts go out to the people of Nepal.'

Mr Staniforth said he is "incredibly shocked by the experience" but urged people to donate to the disaster fund.

The young adventurer had been attempting to climb Mount Everest in honour of the Sherpas who were killed in last year's avalanche at Base Camp.