Firms paying less than minimum wage 'named and shamed'
The biggest number of firms found to have been paying below the national minimum wage have been named and shamed by the government, including nurseries, pizza restaurants, a hotel and a fish and chip shop.
Details of 70 employers were published after they were fined a total of £70,000 for owing workers more than £157,000.
More than 160 employers have now been publicly named by the government since a new regime came into force in 2013.
Business Minister Jo Swinson (pictured) said: "Paying less than the minimum wage is illegal, immoral and completely unacceptable. Naming and shaming gives a clear warning to employers who ignore the rules, that they will face reputational consequences as well as financial penalties of up to £20,000 if they don't pay the minimum wage.
"We're working hard in areas where we know there are particular problems, like the care sector, to make sure staff are paid fairly for the hard work they do.
"We are legislating so that this penalty can be applied to each underpaid worker rather than per employer.
"We are helping workers recover the hundreds of thousands of pounds in pay owed to them as well as raising awareness to make sure workers are paid fairly in the first place."
Many cases investigated
Around 100 cases in the care sector are currently being investigated, which the government believes are the "tip of the iceberg".
The biggest case in the new announcement was a caring company, East Midlands Crossroads, which owed £37,500 to 184 workers.
Other large sums owed to staff included £11,730 by Delcom Systems in Salisbury, £8,300 by the Apostolic Church in London, and £6,700 by Young Friends Nursery in Hove.
TUC general secretary Frances O'Grady said: "We welcome today's list and encourage the Government to make public the hundreds of other minimum wage cheats they know about as soon as possible. If we want to stamp out this criminal behaviour then all employers who under-pay their staff must be publicly named and shamed.
"We need more prosecutions and higher fines. Cheating bosses who fleece their workers out of their hard earned pay must end up in court.
"And there are still lots of under-paying employers who are getting away with it. More inspectors are needed so we can make sure that every single minimum wage cheat is caught."
Martin Smith of the GMB said: "The government needs to make a real commitment to making work pay by more aggressively seeking out offenders to prosecute them. The enforcement rules should also be changed so that trade unions can make complaints to HMRC on behalf of members."
A full list of the 70 employers named today:
- East Midlands Crossroads - Caring for Carers, Nottingham, neglected to pay £37,592.56 to 184 workers
- Delcom Systems Ltd, Salisbury neglected to pay £11,731.52 to a worker
- S Hanns LLP, Chatham neglected to pay £8,448.84 to a worker
- The Apostolic Church trading as James Kane Nursery, London, neglected to pay £8,347.71 to 2 workers
- Young Friends Nursery Ltd, Hove, neglected to pay £6,789.71 to a worker
- Station Garage (Little Weighton) Ltd, Little Weighton neglected to pay £5,440.77 to 2 workers
- KRCS (Digital Solutions) Ltd, Nottingham, neglected to pay £5,161.85 to 5 workers
- Mrs Shirley Elvin trading as Seaton Garage & Engineering Co, Hull, neglected to pay £4,840.31 to a worker
- Pontcanna Hair Studio Ltd, Cardiff, neglected to pay £4,784.34 to a worker
- Carol Ann Daker trading as Swan Hill House Residential Home, Shropshire, neglected to pay £4,395.78 to 27 workers
- Hobby Horse Ltd, Plymouth, neglected to pay £4,049.31 to a worker
- Fylde Coast Pizza Ltd trading as Papa Johns, Blackpool, neglected to pay £3,949.62 to 14 workers
- Manleys Ltd, Belfast, neglected to pay £3,797.83 to 3 workers
- J B Howard and Son Ltd, Leyland, neglected to pay £3,469.96 to 7 workers
- Mr L Tolman & Mr S Blanchard trading as Mardi Gras Hotel, Blackpool, neglected to pay £3,206.76 to 3 workers
- Stafforce Personnel Ltd, Rotherham, neglected to pay £3,044.79 to 63 workers
- Best Start Ltd trading as Tiny Treasures Day Care Nursery, Birmingham, neglected to pay £2,928.95 to 2 workers
- Maybury Automotive Ltd, Woking, neglected to pay £2,670.88 to 2 workers
- C&R Tyres Ltd, Kelso, neglected to pay £2,261.60 to 3 workers
- SSE PLC, Perth neglected to pay £2,233.95 to 5 workers
- Encore Envelopes Ltd, Washington, neglected to pay £2,060.09 to a worker
- SmileyWorld Ltd, London, neglected to pay £1,729.00 to a worker
- Mancroft Ltd, Leeds, neglected to pay £1,172.97 to 3 workers
- Kevin & Bernadette Farrell trading as Derrygonnelly Autos, Enniskillen, neglected to pay £1,690.35 to a worker
- Delves Food & Wine Stop Ltd trading as Loco, Walsall, neglected to pay £1,152.48 to a worker
- Webe (Chelmsford) Ltd, Chelmsford, neglected to pay £1,521.98 to 4 workers
- Gregson Lane Garage Ltd, Preston, neglected to pay £1,431.57 to 2 workers
- Ms Julie Ann Wright trading as The Worx, Portadown, neglected to pay £1,110.60 to a worker
- Mr S Partridge & Ms M Shead trading as Cobblers Fine Sandwiches & Pastries, Wakefield, neglected to pay £1,003.83 to a worker
- Mr Phillip Campbell & Mrs Lorraine Campbell trading as Supervalu Kells, Ballymena, neglected to pay £905.86 to 2 workers
- Mr C Pask trading as Pask Hair & Beauty, Derby, neglected to pay £900.00 to 2 workers
- J&G Salon Ltd trading as Jealousi & Garlands, Tamworth, neglected to pay £881.28 to a worker
- Faster Fit Tyres Ltd, Scunthorpe, neglected to pay £719.30 to a worker
- Mrs Karen Aitken trading as Angel Hair Design, Darlington, neglected to pay £703.33 to a worker
- Clearshot Ltd, Manchester, neglected to pay £684.94 to a worker
- Everest Express Ltd, Lincoln, neglected to pay £657.03 to a worker
- Leisure Emporium Ltd trading as Brown's Cafe Bar & Bistro, Nottingham, neglected to pay £643.86 to a worker
- Mrs S Walker trading as Alleyways Fish & Chips, Scarborough, neglected to pay £601.59 to a worker
- Gary & Toni Valentine trading as The Harbour Inn, Seaton, neglected to pay £584.42 to a worker
- Shreeji Barnsley Ltd trading as Coffee Delight, Buxton, neglected to pay £555.70 to a worker
- Rowe Sparkes Solicitors Ltd, Southsea, neglected to pay £530.96 to a worker
- Fish Hairdressing Company Ltd, trading as Fish Hairdressing, Maidstone neglected to pay £521.82 to 3 workers
- Mrs Deborah Adcock trading as LJ Beauty & Hair, Seaham, neglected to pay £463.60 to a worker
- D&D Dies Ltd, Nottingham, neglected to pay £446.37 to a worker
- G Joynson, D Joynson and C Joynson trading as Headquarters, Withernsea, neglected to pay £430.07 to a worker
- Matchesfashion Ltd, London, neglected to pay £375.61 to 2 workers
- Colin Saich trading as Lindcoly Kennels, Bury St. Edmunds, neglected to pay £338.41 to 9 workers
- Inn2inns Ltd, Middlesbrough, neglected to pay £323.10 to 2 workers
- 99p Land Ltd, Swindon, neglected to pay £315.26 to a worker
- General Tarleton Ltd, Knaresborough, neglected to pay £300.62 to 6 workers
- Western Computer Group Ltd, Bristol, neglected to pay £287.54 to a worker
- Matrix Electrical Engineering Ltd, Harlow neglected to pay £286.60 to a worker
- Honeybees Childcare Ltd, Preston, neglected to pay £276.30 to a worker
- Mr G J Pearce trading as Sheppards Wood Service Station, Nottingham, neglected to pay £268.56 to a worker
- The Mirrors Ltd, Manchester, neglected to pay £262.87 to a worker
- A1 Techsol Ltd, Manchester, neglected to pay £233.47 to a worker
- Mrs J Cole trading as Rayleigh Retreat, Rayleigh £231.73 to a worker
- Hamlet Homes Properties Ltd, Westcliff-on-Sea neglected to pay £226.40 to a worker
- Smartmove Property Specialists Ltd, Aldershot, neglected to pay £206.36 to a worker
- EYFS Ltd trading as Oak Tree Day Nursery, London, neglected to pay £181.41 to a worker
- Mr & Mrs P Munn trading as Merry Maids of the Weald, Tonbridge, neglected to pay £169.56 to a worker
- Mr H Singleton trading as Willowbank Builders, Huddersfield, neglected to pay £163.89 to a worker
- Professional Referral Services Ltd, Wigan, neglected to pay £156.93 to 2 workers
- Amtec Computer Corporation Ltd, Ferndown, neglected to pay £149.64 to a worker
- Lychgate Coffee Ltd, Wolverhampton, neglected to pay £124.39 to a worker
- Finite International Logistics Ltd, Penarth, neglected to pay £119.92 to a worker
- Drummonds Ltd, Manchester, neglected to pay £113.58 to a worker
- Grove Mechanical Services Ltd, Magherafelt, neglected to pay £107.00 to 2 workers
- Lin Chinese Takeaway Ltd, Stoke-on-Trent, neglected to pay £103.00 to a worker
- Mr Assad Madani trading as Donapapa Pizza, Durham, neglected to pay £101.64 a worker
Osborne backs minimum wage rise
Minimum wage too low for London
Income tax threshold to rise in Budget 2014?