Woman in critical condition after drinking chemical-filled tea at Utah restaurant

Roshina Jowaheer
Lye in Tea
Lye in Tea



A 67-year-old woman is in a critical condition after drinking chemical-laced iced tea at a restaurant in Utah, America.

Jan Harding bought the drink from a self-service station at Dickey's Barbecue Pit in South Jordan and after taking a sip of it she spat it out and told her husband: "I think I just drank acid."

CBS Local reports that an employee mistook the toxic cleaning chemical for sugar and mixed it into a dispenser.

Harding was rushed to hospital by her husband.

A lawyer representing her said: "The news was very disappointing and disheartening for the family. The burns were deeper and more extensive than we had hoped.

"She remains in critical condition, and there are still a lot of things that could go wrong at this point."

According to LA Times, a statement released by the restaurant read: "Our thoughts and prayers go out to our guest and her family.

"Safety is something we take very seriously when it comes to our valued guests, as well as our own team members. At this time we are fully involved in cooperating with all parties."

South Jordan Police is investigating the incident but they believe it was accidental.

Grandmother Hospitalized After Sipping Iced Tea Laced With Cleaning Chemical
Grandmother Hospitalized After Sipping Iced Tea Laced With Cleaning Chemical



Related articles

Dogs targeted with 'rat poison sandwiches' on British beaches

Guests exposed to lethal chemicals at British hotel