Dyson's new fan is 'near silent'

Designer James Dyson

%VIRTUAL-SkimlinksPromo%Dyson is releasing a "near silent" update to its bladeless fan that it claims is quieter than a buzzing mosquito.

The British company says its new Air Multiplier fan is up to 75% quieter than the original model, released in 2009, after a team of 65 Dyson engineers reduced the turbulence of high velocity air.
The fan is the first Dyson machine to include a Helmholtz cavity in the base to eliminate tones of 1,000Hz, similar to the frequency of the noise produced by the wing beat of mosquitoes.

Dyson's engineers found that the frequency that most irritated users of its previous fans was 1,000Hz, making their goal for it to be "totally inaudible" from the new model.

A Helmholtz cavity catches sound waves travelling through the machine. When air is forced into the Helmholtz, the pressure inside increases. These sound waves are then bounced within the cavity, dissipating the sound and in turn improving the tone of the machine.

Engineers developing the new model passed UV paint through the machine's loop to chart and optimise airflow, with the aim of reducing noise.

The bladeless fan, which has proved to be one of Dyson's most successful and profitable inventions, works by using a brushless motor in the base to draw air in and feed it into the circular tube.

The air then comes out of a crack all around the ring and passes over a shape like that of an aircraft wing.

Dyson said it invested £40 million into its newest fans, spending almost £1.5 million every week on research and development in 2012.

The various sizes of the new fan cost between £220 and £300 and weigh between 7.3lb and 15lb.

Sir James Dyson said: "By reducing air turbulence and using ingenious, simple engineering principles like a Helmholtz cavity, Dyson engineers have targeted tones and reduced sound volume, making quiet fans with powerful airflow."

Wiltshire-based Dyson, which employs more than 3,600 staff worldwide, was founded in 1992 and now sells machines, including vacuum cleaners and hand dryers, in more than 50 markets.

Strangest gadget stories revealed
See Gallery
Dyson's new fan is 'near silent'
I was out shooting one day when my mobile phone rang. The gamekeeper confiscated it, threw it into the air and gave it both barrels of a 12 bore shotgun!
I was doing an aqua aerobics class, but left my phone in my pocket and didn’t discover it had been underwater for about half-an-hour. I decided that I would try and dry it in a sauna. Once dry I turned it on and it gave a couple of feeble flashes before dying completely.
My grandson thought it was not right for my phone to be left out on a cold day on the kitchen table instead of being put away in its cover, so he put it in the microwave to warm it up. He set the microwave on full power for an hour but it blew up long before that, along with my Samsung Galaxy.
I jumped into a swimming pool to escape a wasp, unfortunately with my mobile in my hand.
I was on holiday in Egypt and, after sunbathing for 20 minutes, I decided to go for a swim in the ocean, forgetting I had put my mobile phone in my cleavage for safekeeping. I didn’t notice until I’d been in the sea for 10 minutes, and by that time my phone had stopped working.
I went shopping for a frozen turkey and as I leaned in to try and lug a very large bird from the supermarket freezer my phone fell out of my pocket and into the bottom of the freezer. I could not reach it and had to go and seek help from a sales assistant who was taller than me. When we returned to the freezer, my phone had gone!
I once left my mobile on an armchair. When I returned my mother’s dog had decided that he liked the taste and had eaten nearly all of it.
I couldn't find my phone indoors anywhere. I went into the garden later on to find that my dog had put it in the birdbath.
My little brother took my mobile phone and destroyed it with a hammer.
My nephew put my tablet in the washing up bowl because he said it was dirty.
My four-year-old son purposely dropped my phone into a fish tank because he wanted me to buy a new BlackBerry.
I dunked my phone in my tea because I got distracted and thought it was a biscuit.
I’d had my new phone for just six days, and went to Tottenham play at White Hart Lane. Gareth Bale scored and I jumped up to celebrate whilst grabbing my phone to text my wife, dropped it and smashed the screen.
I left my Nokia phone on the living room table and went off to the kitchen to make a cuppa. When I returned my eight-month-old dog Scooby was looking a bit sheepish. About an hour later I found my mobile in Scooby's water bowl.
I was decorating our living room and had my phone in my breast pocket. As I leant over to dip a brush in a five-litre pot of paint the phone fell out and into the bottom of it.
Read Full Story