What to do if you missed the tax return deadline

A young businesswoman is looking stressed as she works at her computer. Horizontal shot.

%VIRTUAL-SkimlinksPromo%The deadline for filing self-assessment tax returns has passed. If you missed it, here's what you should do right now.

The deadline for filing online self-assessment tax returns for the tax year 2012-13 passed at midnight last night (Friday). Due to the changes in Child Benefit eligibility, there was an extension granted for people who registered by then, and they now have until 15th February to file.
If you didn't register or file by the deadline, you're now looking at financial penalties, but if you act now you can limit these. Here's what to do.


HMRC is enforcing an initial penalty of £100 for people who didn't even register. This fine even applies if you don't actually have any additional tax to pay.

From here, if the return is more than three months late you'll receive a £10 daily charge for up to 90 days – that's £900 maximum. If you are six months late an additional £300 will be added or 5% of your tax liability; whichever is higher. For non-submitters who reach January 2014, another £300 or 5% will be slapped on.

This gives a total potential penalty of £1,600 – even for those who have no tax to pay but still submit late. Needless to say, if your tax return is still sitting on your to do pile, get it done now!


HMRC is taking a tough approach to this year's tax return process. So if you have not yet filed but need to and have no credible excuse, you'll really just have to cough up.

But what counts as a credible – or to use HMRC's language, reasonable – excuse in the eyes of the powers-that-be?

Well, it's all common sense really. The base definition is loosely: something that is unusual and out of your control. This doesn't include forgetting about the deadline, finding the online system too complicated, being let down by an accountant or not registering at HMRC online by the filing deadline.

Try any of these excuses and you'll get short shrift from the taxman. We can only assume that the old classics: 'my dog ate it' or 'I was abducted by aliens' will also hold little water.

HMRC says examples of reasonable excuses include: failures in its own computer system, personal computer malfunctions, a serious illness or the failure to receive an activation code in time. However, they must be backed up with sufficient evidence and it must be clear that you have tried to the best of your abilities to submit the return.

This year's extreme weather will also be taken into consideration, providing you can prove it has prevented you from doing your return, for example because your home is flooded.

Contemporaneous evidence may also be required – doctors notes for illnesses and technician reports for hardware computer failures, for example.

However, HMRC did emphasise that it has no exhaustive list of reasonable excuses. So it's safe to assume that each case will be examined on an individual basis.

What to do if you have no excuse

If you don't have a reasonable excuse, you should get on and file your return as soon as you can. If you haven't applied for an activation code to use the online service, do it now at the HMRC website.

If you need help, try the HMRC Self-Assessment Online Demonstrator or call the Self Assessment Helpline on 0845 900 0444 (open 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 8am-4pm Saturdays). You'll need your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number to hand.

Tax tricks to improve your wealth
See Gallery
What to do if you missed the tax return deadline

If you wear a uniform of any kind to work and have to wash, repair or replace it yourself, you may be able to reclaim tax paid over the last four years. For some people, this could mean a windfall worth hundreds of pounds

The interest you receive on savings accounts (with the exception of cash Isas) is automatically taxed at a rate of 20%.

Higher-rate taxpayers therefore tend to owe money on the interest they are paid throughout the year. If, however, you are on a low income or not earning at all, you should be able to claim all or some of the tax deducted back

You can apply for a refund of vehicle tax if you are the current registered keeper or were the last registered keeper of your vehicle that no longer needs a tax disc

If you pay tax on a company, personal or State Pension through PAYE (the system employers use to deduct tax from your wages), you may well end up overpaying

There is a limit to the amount you need to pay in NI, whether or not you work for an employer.

Instances in which you may find that you have overpaid include if you work two or more jobs and earn more than £817 a week and if you move from self-employment to employment, but continue to pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions

Read Full Story