Horror as skydiver knocked unconscious during 12,500ft jump

AOL Travel

This is the terrifying moment a skydiver plummeted 12,500ft to the ground unconscious after he was knocked out in a skydiving accident.

James Lee, 25, was taking part in a jump in Wiltshire when just seconds after leaping from the plane he was hit from behind by another skydiver.

The other skydiver - who leapt from the plane after James - lost control and fell onto James' head knocking him unconscious and sending him hurtling towards the ground uncontrollably.

Luckily, two other skydivers realised something was wrong and frantically chased after James.

After realising he was unresponsive the brave skydivers managed to roll James into a more stable position and deploy his parachute for a safe landing. The mid-air drama was captured on a camera on James' helmet.

James told Caters News: "I've been skydiving for about five years and this was my 1,050th jump.

"There were 12 people in this skydive, with others leaving the plane just after we jump off.

"One of the skydivers who left the plane through the door came out unstable and went into a spin.

"They were falling faster than I was and their shin impacted the back of my helmet with a lot of force - knocking me out.

"I am now tumbling through the air uncontrollably and two other skydivers realised something was wrong.


"They chased after me and fortunately I roll into a more stable position - still quickly drifting in the sky.

"At first the other skydivers give basic hand signals that we teach our students with to correct their body position and find I am still not responding.

"They manage to get hold of me to try and stop my body tumbling again as we get closer to the altitude where, as a group, we separate to deploy our parachutes.

"They signal to the other jumpers to get away as they were unaware of what was happening. They then deploy my main parachute. Once I was clear they deployed their own."

It wasn't until James was under the canopy that he began to regain consciousness, he landed safely on the ground with no memory of the drama that had unfolded seconds earlier.

He was taken to A&E for his head injury and was given the all-clear. And despite his near-death experience the thrill seeker said he has no plans to give up skydiving.

He said: "I'd only ever heard of people being knocked out in freefall and I was just glad to be back on the ground.

"My neck was very sore from the impact and I had a big headache so went to A&E to be checked over.

"I am very glad that everything unfolded how it did. This is not something you are taught to do or practise for as it is very uncommon. I think my mum and girlfriend are more relieved than I am.

"It hasn't put me off at all, I have not jumped too much lately because of the weather but will be back in the sport this season."

Related articles

Teen survives falling over 3,000ft in skydiving accident

Skydiver near-death experience as parachute opens early - near helicopter blades