Brits injured in explosion at Tenerife hotel

AOL Travel
Tenerife - Places To Visit
Tenerife - Places To Visit

Costa Adeje stock shot/



A British mother and her eight-year old daughter have been badly injured in a Tenerife hotel after a food heater exploded.

Kirsteen Hughes, aged 37, and her eight-year-old daughter Robyn Anne, from Greater Manchester, arrived on the island or for a post-Christmas break when they were injured in the explosion at the four-star Bahia Principe Hotel in Costa Adeje.

According to the Bury Times, Mrs Hughes suffered injuries to her face and scalp in the blast. She is in a serious but stable condition in intensive care in hospital.

Robyn Anne suffered burns to her neck and ear.

Mrs Hughes' husband, Stephen, also suffered minor injuries in the explosion, as did a Belgian tourist and a Spanish tourist.

The couple arrived at the £175-a-night Playo Paraiso resort in the island's capital, Santa Cruz, on Boxing Day with Robyn Anne and their other daughter, reports the Bury Times.

A Canary Island Government spokesman said Stephen and Robyn Anne were treated in a general hospital on the south of the island, while Kirsteen was treated in a specialist burns unit in the capital Santa Cruz.

It is understood Tenerife Police are treating the incident as accidental.

A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesman said: "We are aware of an incident involving two British nationals in Tenerife. We are providing consular assistance."

Related articles

British woman dies while paragliding on Tenerife