Man's horrifying bug after sipping beer can dropped in river on fishing trip

AOL Travel

An Australian man has been left in agony with a killer belly condition after he caught a mystery bug taking a sip from a can of beer he dropped in a river.

Granddad John Macdonald, 60, was on the Brisbane River, Queensland, on a fishing trip in March last year when he dropped a can in the water.

Without thinking John picked up the tin and carried on drinking it.

Just a few hours later he was violently ill and has since had to endure countless hospital visits and operations to try and get rid of the large mass growing from his stomach.

John was operated on at his local Caboolture hospital after antibiotics prescribed to him failed.

He was transferred to the Royal Brisbane Hospital for a third operation, which initially was thought to be a success.

Instead he went into more shock when he woke up with an even larger and more grotesque hernia-like mass on his stomach.

On May 8 this year, John was once again admitted for surgery at the RBH to remove the mass, an operation he thought would be his last - but now the condition has returned again.

John is now making a worldwide appeal to anyone who can cure his mystery illness, the large mass had returned but he said he was told by doctors that there was nothing they could do for at least 12 months

He told Caters News: "They operated and I was left with a flat stomach.

"But not long after, when you can see what you had for supper, you know something is wrong, that was the day I knew I was in strife.

"I'm told we have to start the whole process again.

"Clearly the Brisbane River is far more polluted than people think - it was a split second decision on my part - a stupid one - and I have to live with this for the rest of my life.

"I want to tell my story to the world in the hope that someone somewhere might answer my prayers and finally get me well - I'm a good bloke and I want to be around for my kids and my little grandchild so if there's a bloody good doc out there that can help, then give me a holler."

Related articles

Australian couple stranded in Bolivia with flesh-eating parasite

Vomiting bug hits 130 passengers on luxury cruise ship