A grandfather who fell ill with food poisoning during his holiday in the Dominican Republic has won £2,500 in compensation.
Geoff Clarke, 78, from Essex, and his family fell ill at the four-star Bahia Principe Hotel.
Speaking to This Is Total Essex, Mr Clarke said: "We were there for two weeks but it was only after three days that we started feeling really ill. It was a disaster and not a holiday at all."
A family from West Yorkshire has also won a share of £1.9 million compensation after staying at the same hotel.
Todmorden News reports that the Ward family contracted acute gastro-enteritis, suffering agonising stomach cramps, sickness and diarrhoea during their holiday.
Guests complained that there was a complete lack of hygiene, with cockroaches and vermin around the hotel, food covered in flies and overflowing toilets.
Tourism officials in the Dominican Republic released a statement about the health and hygiene at its resorts.
According to TravelMole, the Dominican Republic Tourist Board said "hygiene in its hotels is of the highest order and follows UK standards, as formulated by the British consultant hired under recommendation from the World Tourism Organisation".
"We deeply regret that these visitors did not experience the true Dominican Republic warm hospitality and high service that we aim to offer all guests to our shores.
"We would like to assure visitors that this experience is the exception to the rule and not in keeping with our high standards and expectations that the Dominican Republic and hotels offer our valued visitors."
British tourists hold sit-in at Caribbean resort after locals "destroy everything"
Couple's wedding day ruined after ENTIRE party falls ill on holiday