A mother who was struck by lightning escaped with just pins and needles thanks to her husband's wellington boots.
Deborah Kendall was putting her two-year-old daughter in her car during the thunderstorm when she was hit by a bolt near her home in Smalley, Derbyshire.
The 33-year-old, who was struck by several million volts, had put her husband's wellies on and opened an umbrella before stepping outside into the storm.
Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, she said: "We put my daughter in the car and I was still holding the umbrella in the air when there was suddenly this white sheet of light.
"I heard a bang and felt it in my hand, then almost instantaneously a bang in my feet. There was a noise like when you stand next to a pylon. The electricity came down the umbrella, through me and out again.
"I think I was in shock - I said to David 'I think I've been struck by lightning'. My whole body went heavy but I managed to run into the house. It was like I had cramp. Pins and needles set in and I called the 111 emergency helpline."
Mrs Kendall went to the hospital and was told by doctors that "the fact I was wearing David's wellies may have insulated me and stopped the lightning from earthing."
She told the Daily Mail: "I dread to think what might have happened if I wasn't wearing them. It could easily have gone the other way."
Her husband David said: "The wellies cost about £8.50 off Amazon. I was going to get rid of them because they were leaking, but I'm glad I didn't now.
"I had just strapped our daughter in when suddenly there was there was a blinding white light above us and the biggest bang. It was deafening."
The odds of being struck by lightning are about 500,000/1.
Ryanair flight struck by lightning diverts to Glasgow
Terrifying moment couple's Florida beach wedding is struck by lightning