63 diners hit with vomiting bug at 'world's best restaurant'

63 diners hit with vomiting bug at 'world's best restaurant'
63 diners hit with vomiting bug at 'world's best restaurant'



More than 60 people suffered food poisoning after dining at a Danish restaurant voted the world's best three years in a row.

The Independent reports that health officials said 63 out of 78 diners at Copenhagen's upmarket Noma restaurant fell ill over a four-day period in February, suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea.

The two Michelin-starred eatery run by René Redzepi and Claus Meyer issued an apology after Denmark's food authority found that poor hygiene in the kitchen was to blame for the outbreak.

In its report, agency Fødevarestyrelsen wrote: 'There has been illness among staff who have handled the food product. The inspection visit was due to guests complaining of vomiting and diarrhoea.'

Noma was also criticised for not disinfecting the kitchen quick enough to prevent the virus from spreading. There was no hot water in the taps that staff use to wash their hands.

According to the BBC, agency spokesman Morten Lisby described the outbreak as 'massive'.

Managing director of Noma Peter Kreiner said: 'Since the outbreak we have worked closely with the health authorities to get to the bottom of it and find the source of infection.

'We are extremely sorry about all of this and I have personally been in dialogue with all the guests who were affected and discussed compensation for them.'

He added that the restaurant would not be closing down.

Noma charges up to 1,500 kroner (£175) for a menu without drinks, and reservations must often be made months in advance.

Related articles

Raymond Blanc restaurant banned from serving liver that poisoned diners

UK wedding venue fined £25,000 after half reception guests get food poisoning


Family holiday ruined by cruise liner hit by illness for fifth year in row

%VIRTUAL-Gallery-159372%