Essex woman almost dies after being bitten on the bottom by spider in Spain

Ceri Roberts
Essex woman almost dies after being bitten on the bottom by spider in Spain
Essex woman almost dies after being bitten on the bottom by spider in Spain

A British woman came close to death when she contracted a rare flesh-eating bug after being bitten by a spider during a holiday in Spain.

The Daily Mail reports that Sue Isaac, 58, from Braintree, Essex, was bitten on the bottom by a spider when she sat on a sunbed by the pool at her friend's villa in Albox, Alberia.

She started to feel unwell within days, and ended up in intensive care after surgeons operated to remove decaying flesh from her leg.

Mrs Isaac told the Daily Mail that she was bitten on the second day of her holiday in July, 2012.

She said: "I got a sarong that I'd left out overnight on a subbed and sat on it and thought, 'Ooh, that really hurt' and I realised I'd got bitten.

"It brought tears to my eyes, it was like a bee sting but it didn't go away. I put insect repellent on it but didn't think any more about it."

A few days later, Mrs Isaac noticed a small bruise on her thigh which quickly doubled in size and was surrounded by blisters. She then developed a fever and felt very unwell.

Although she was given antibiotics in hospital, her left thigh swelled to three times its normal size. Tests showed 14 types of bacteria in the would, including flesh-eating Streptococcus pyogenes.

Mrs Isaac told the Daily Mail that she feared she would lose her leg - or die. But fortunately a series of operations to remove the dead tissue were a success. Mrs Isaac had to stay in Spain for two months until she was well enough to travel home.

She says: "At one point I asked to be left alone because I wanted to be by myself to die. I can't believe I have got through this."

Related articles:

Video: It's raining spiders in Brazil

Hundreds of black widow spiders hatch in shipping container in Norwich