School children taken to hospital after coach fire

School children in hospital after coach fire

Three school children were taken to hospital suffering from possible smoke inhalation after a fire on a coach in West Sussex on Friday.

According to the BBC, the fire broke out in the engine of the coach, near Whiteways Lodge roundabout, Arundel.

The coach was carrying 58 children and adults from Storrington First School on a trip to Beaulieu Motor Museum in Hampshire.

The remaining passengers were put on another coach and returned to school, where the children were collected by their parents.

A man described to the Argus how he saw the school bus driving down a hill 'on fire as children screamed.'

Adrian Goth, 23, who works in a cafe nearby, said: 'I saw the coach coming down the hill on fire. It was pretty horrendous.

'The children were all screaming and shouting.

'The kids were running towards the café. We gave them hot chocolate and comforted them.

'It was like a film. It was awful.

'There were flames pouring out the coach.'

Head teacher Garry Smart said: 'I am very grateful for the superb response to the situation by the emergency services and staff.

'The children have been safely returned back to school and have been collected by their families.'

Related articles

Passengers evacuated after bus catches fire at Norwich Airport

Rats cause huge fire at Southampton coach yard

'Hero' lorry driver risks life to steer burning truck away from shoppers

Read Full Story