Woman burns face with butane cylinder on camping trip in Wales

Woman burns face with butane cylinder on camping trip in WalesStock photo: Rex


A woman was airlifted to hospital after suffering "serious burns" to her face, neck and arms during a camping trip in Wales last weekend.

The 40-year-old holidaymaker was rushed to hospital after using a butane cylinder on top of a grill at Shell Island in Llanbedr on Sunday.

She was later transferred to Whiston Hospital for specialist treatment.

The woman was not the only person to suffer serious burn on a camping trip in the area that weekend.

A man in his 30s was injured when he tried to change a gas cylinder on a cooker while another cooker was still alight.

He, too, was taken to Whiston Hospital for treatment.

Neither incidents are thought to be life-threatening, but they have prompted warning from the local rescue service.

Dave Evans from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service told the Caernarfon Herald: "Thankfully, the injuries received are not life-threatening but both people have suffered serious burns, which could have been avoided with a little extra care.

"We are concerned that people using gas cylinders or lighting a camp fire need to take the greatest of care. Try to avoid lighting an open fire – bRelae responsible and use a proper camping stove and, if using flammable liquids, follow the safety instructions, especially when refilling. Never leave naked flames unattended."

Related articles

Campers horrified after teen kills lamb with wartime bayonet

Camper rescued through smoke signals after breaking his foot
Read Full Story

FROM OUR PARTNERS