Le Mans: Anthony Davidson in huge crash

David Hobbs

An intriguing Le Mans 24 Hours erupted into drama when the Toyota Racing TS 030 - HYBRID of Anthony Davidson suffered a huge crash after contact with an amateur team car.

The British driver was looking to pass the #81 Ferrari 458 Italia of Piergiuseppe Perazzini at the Mulsanne Corner when the Ferrari looked to move across and the two collided.

Davidson's Toyota was sent spinning into the air, fortunately landing the right way up but then hurtling into the tyre barriers while the Ferrari, which also went into the barrier, ended up on its roof.

The incident forced the race organisers to send out the safety car while emergency services attended the scene. Early reports indicate that both drivers are unhurt.

The incident provided a bitter-sweet moment for Toyota as they had just taken the lead for the first time in the race. The #1 Audi R18 e-tron quattro of Marcel Fassler had been leading for the first five hours until the #7 Toyota, driven by Davison's team-mate Nicolas Lapierre, overtook him on lap 57, also on the Mulsanne Straight. The pair continued to dice with each other through Indianapolis and Arnage and towards the start-finish line before the Davidson crash brought the safety car out.

Only a few laps earlier, the #3 Audi of Romain Dumas also crashed on the Mulsanne Straight. Dumas jumped out and could be seen ripping off bits of the Audi's bodywork before getting back in and coaxing the diesel car back to the pits.

Toyota team's director of business operations Rob Leupen told Autosport that Davidson was ok: "Anthony is in the medical centre and the good news is that he is walking and talking and seems OK," he said. "He will be going to the hospital for further investigations.

Toyota Racing said in a statement: "Anthony Davidson was taken to the circuit medical centre following his accident during the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Doctors at the circuit have confirmed that Anthony is suffering from shock and back pain, however there are no signs of any injuries and he is walking and talking with no problems.

"He will be taken to a local hospital for precautionary checks but the team is relieved and happy to hear he is okay. Further updates will follow in due course."

Watch a video of the crash below.