iPhone self-combusts on plane to Sydney

Ruth Doherty


iPhone self-ignites on plane
iPhone self-ignites on plane

Stock photo: Rex Features


An airline crew had to use a fire extinguisher to put out an iPhone after it started smoking on a Regional Express flight upon arrival at Sydney Airport.

According to The Australian, an investigation found that a small metal screw had been misplaced during repairs by an unauthorised dealer and had punctured the battery casing, leading to an internal short circuit and overheating incident last November.

Subsequently, passengers have now been warned not to pack electronic devices with lithium batteries into checked baggage, but to take them on board in carry-on luggage instead.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has also warned travellers about using non-authorised agents to repair mobiles.

The ATSB report said it is the first time a mobile has self-ignited on an aircraft in Australia, although there have been other cases across the globe.

Related articles

Smoke in cabin forces Qantas plane to land

How YOUR phone or laptop could bring down a plane

Woman's terror at seeing engine burst into flames mid-flight

Checking in devices with lithium batteries is just one thing you shouldn't do on a plane. Here are ten others:

%VIRTUAL-Gallery-152961%