Driving to France this summer? You'll need a breathalyser

The Institute of Advanced Motorists has kindly let the wider world know that if you're driving into or through France this summer you'll need some extra kit on board.

As well as a warning triangle, all your papers for the car and yourself, a high-vis warning jacket, a big ol' GB sticker somewhere visible, your lights adjusted to the right, bulbs and many other sundries, you now need to carry a breathalyser as well.From July 1st all drivers in France need to have a breathalyser on board. If you're caught before November without one you'll be ok, but after then you'll receive an 11 euro fine.

The IAM says that a small, single use unit will satisfy les porcs, though it does advise that you carry a pair with you in case you need to see if you're legal to drive the morning after a night sur le vin rouge.

Those who choose to indulge in a light spot of driving after a drink in France have a much lower limit to breach – 50mg per 100ml of blood. In the UK it's 80mg.

IAM director of policy and research Neil Greig commented: "The new French rule is a genuine attempt to reduce the number of alcohol related accidents. France's lower limit means it's very easy to be over the limit the morning after as well. As always, the best advice for motorists is not to drink and drive at all."

At Autoblog we're inclined to agree with Mr Greig – if you're going to drink, don't bother driving.
Read Full Story