Day 2: Cut your fuel bills for Christmas
There's winter chill in the air and Christmas is just around the corner - which means plenty of cold days when you'll need the house warm all the time.
Don't ruin Christmas by worrying about sky high fuel bills though - act now to make sure they don't cost as much as you think.
Five thing you can do about your bills
1. Switch energy supplier. You've heard it a hundred times over already, but have you actually done it? If you've never made the switch before, or you haven't checked for a few years you could stand to save over £389 according to EnergyHelpline.It also honestly only takes about 15 minutes to do, and they sort out all the complicated bits. See if you can save now.
2. Insulate. Does your home have cavity wall or loft insulation? If not you could be losing hundreds of pounds of heat each year. Everyone, regardless of their age or whether or not they are on benefits, if their house is suitable can get cavity wall or loft insulation for free from EDF and Tesco Home (and you don't have to be a customer). So there's no reason not to take advantage.
3. DIY Insulation. Even small changes can make a difference, so be sure to use draft excluders and brushes to plug gaps under doors, from your postbox or cat flap and between windows. Invest in some thermal curtains or even a radiator booster which costs just 30p a year to run - they'll make a big difference to the warmth of your home without you needing to turn the thermostat up.
4. Think green. Even if saving the environment isn't high on your agenda, thinking green will help you dramatically cut the cost of your bills. Be sure to turn lights out when you leave a room, don't leave appliances on standby and take more showers instead of baths. Try washing your clothes at 30ºC rather than 40ºC, and only boil as much water as you need when you put the kettle on.
5. Get an energy saving monitor. If that isn't enough, an energy saving monitor will really open your eyes to how much energy we all waste. These clever little gadgets will not only show you how much your using, but tell you exactly how much it's costing you too. And there's nothing better that seeing your money disappearing to get you being more energy efficient.
Day 3: Substitute to save