It's that time of year again
· Spend a few minutes checking lights and brakes to make sure they're in good working order
· Clean your lights - a quick wipe over means you'll see better and, crucially, you'll be seen more easily too, and carry a spare set of bulbs
· Clean the inside and outside of your windscreen - a smeared windscreen can cause glare when driving at night or when the sun is low in the sky
· Don't forget to turn your lights off when parked - RAC anticipates a 15% increase in flat battery callouts due to vehicle lights being left on over the winter months compared to summer months
· Make sure your screen wash is working and top it up with the correct fluid, and check your wiper blades
· Autumn leaves and weather can make the roads slippery so check your tyres. Make sure they are at the correct pressure, that the rubber is in good order and that the treads meet minimum requirements – 1.6mm for cars, vans and light trailers and 3mm when it's wet
• If you feel tired – pull over and rest for half an hour.