Aldo wants rematch with 'coward' Conor McGregor

Updated: 

Jose Aldo believes he would win a rematch against Conor McGregor despite being knocked out in 13 seconds by the Irishman just last year.

McGregor never defended the featherweight belt following their December 2015 bout. Instead, 'The Notorious' opted for a pair of welterweight fights against Nate Diaz and a lightweight fight against Eddie Alvarez.

By knocking out Alvarez to win the 155-pound title at UFC 205 earlier this month, McGregor became the first fighter in UFC history to hold two belts at the same time.

However, McGregor has since relinquished his 145-pound strap, with UFC confirming Aldo (26-2) has been promoted from interim to undisputed featherweight champion.

"It's not my fault that he's a coward. He was never the champion," Aldo told ESPN. "I don't see myself losing to anyone in my weight class or any other one.

"In my opinion, I never stopped being the champion. I lost that fight because of an accident."

The interim belt will be on the line when Max Holloway faces Anthony Pettis in the new main event at UFC 206 on December 10, with the winner set to take on Aldo next year.

"I will be prepared to fight whoever wins that fight," Aldo said. 

"It's clear that Pettis has a bigger name - he already was the champion. It would be a big fight. But if it goes the other way, I don't have a problem with that either. I will win either way."