NRL don't deny Brisbane bias after draw released

Updated: 

NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg was unmoved after Brisbane Broncos were the big beneficiaries of Thursday's NRL draw announcement.

The Broncos will feature on television on 10 of the first 11 matchdays, earning them higher income than their rivals - much to their chagrin.

However, Greenberg says the NRL's broadcasters' demands to have the Broncos on their programming ties the NRL's hands.

"Our broadcast partners pay significant premiums and, rightfully under this model, they have the ability to choose certain games and the Broncos are very valuable for them," he said.

"So we understand that.

"It would be fair to say, if you ask the Broncos, they would like to play more Sunday afternoon football but it's hard to make everyone happy."

The Broncos will get the 2017 NRL season under way with a trip to premiers Cronulla Sharks before hosting North Queensland Cowboys in a big derby match for their first home fixture.

While the Broncos were happy with their end of the bargain, the Penrith Panthers were left incensed, claiming they were not properly consulted over the fixture list.

Penrith chief executive Brian Fletcher has lashed out after his side were not given a home fixture with rivals Parramatta Eels, and then missed off a conference call where clubs were given an opportunity to air any grievances with the fixture list.

"It's a major disappointment," Fletcher said.

"It's one game that would be sold out for sure - it's good for the league, Parramatta and Penrith. But apparently [the NRL] didn't see it that way.

"Unfortunately for Penrith, the NRL forgot to ring us.

"I've spoke to them since then and told them we weren't contacted because that's what Todd Greenberg informed us.

"And told them how disappointed we were that we didn't get a chance to discuss it."