Darren Bravo has been sent home from the 50-over tri-series in Zimbabwe after the West Indies batsman posted a furious reaction to quotes about his contract by WICB chairman Dave Cameron on social media.
Cameron told SportsMax TV that Bravo had been offered only a grade C contract because of his declining batting average.
Bravo responded angrily on Twitter, writing: "You hav been failing 4 d last 4yrs. Y don't u resign and FYI I've neva been given an A contract. Big idiot @davec51 [Cameron]."
In a media release the WICB said: "Bravo has been replaced due to inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour, which is contrary to his contractual obligations to the WICB.
"The clause in his agreement clearly states (in clause 18.104.22.168 of your match/tour contract) not to make any statement in or to any form of media (which shall include, without limitation, print media, television, radio, internet or any social networking media), or any other public statement, which would bring yourself, WICB or any official or authorised representative of WICB or the game of cricket into disrepute and your agreement to use all such media in a responsible manner."
Jason Mohammed has replaced Bravo in the squad for the tri-series with Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka, while leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo has also been included after personal reasons forced Sunil Narine to withdraw from the touring party.
The Windies face Sri Lanka in their tournament opener on Wednesday.
Bravo has a Test average of 40 having scored 87 and 116 in his two innings in the first Test of the recent series with Pakistan. He did not post a score above 50 in the two subsequent matches.
His average in 50-over cricket is 32.03 and 21.36 in Twenty20 internationals.