Woods officially added to Hero World Challenge field

Updated: 

Tiger Woods is due to make his long-awaited comeback next month after he was officially added to the Hero Wold Challenge field on Tuesday.

Woods was supposed to return last month at the Safeway Open, but pulled out three days before the tournament was set to start as he felt his game was not ready.

The 40-year-old American had already told multiple media outlets that he would return to the early December exhibition in the Bahamas and is now officially in the field.

The 14-time major champion, who has undergone three back operations, last played competitively at the Wyndham Championship in August 2015.

"I am excited to make my return at the Hero World Challenge at Albany (Bahamas) and play in this terrific tournament," Woods said in a press release.

"This is our 18th year, and every year we put together a top field that showcases the best golfers from the previous season."

Bubba Watson, the defending champion, and current major champions Dustin Johnson, Henrik Stenson and Jimmy Walker are set to join Woods in the competition. Jordan Spieth, who won the event in 2014, is also due to play.

Patrick Reed, Hideki Matsuyama, Rickie Fowler, Justin Rose, Matt Kuchar, Russell Knox, Brandt Snedeker, Brooks Koepka, Louis Oosthuizen, J.B. Holmes, Emiliano Grillo and Zach Johnson round out the small field.