- Spain's Carolina Marin became the first European winner of the women's badminton singles with a dramatic three-game win over Pusarla V Sindhu of India.
- There was gold for Slovakia in a gruelling men's 50 kilometre walk race as Matej Toth added to the World Championship title he won in Beijing 12 months ago.
- History was made as Lin Xiyu hit the first hole-in-one in women's golf, before New Zealander Lydia Ko provided an ace of her own later in the day.
- Great Britain celebrated a 23rd gold medal as 58-year-old Nick Skelton won the individual Olympic showjumping after a six-way jump off, adding to the team gold he won at London 2012.
- Connor Fields celebrated gold for United States in the men's BMX final, while defending champion Mariana Pajon clinched victory for Colombia in the women's race.
QUOTES OF THE DAY
"I'm very excited, I don't know how I'm feeling now but it is amazing that my dream has come true. I just had to believe in myself." - World number one Marin expresses her delight at bringing home gold for Spain.
"Around 25 kilometres [into the race] I didn't think I would be in the medals position. But after 35 I saw that for everyone it was very hard, very tough. I couldn't do any speeding up. I just continued with my speed and my pace, and the last 5km was all or nothing." - Toth reacts to a tough victory in the 50km walk in the searing Rio heat.
"To have my first hole-in-one at the Olympics is really cool. I don't think I'll ever be able to forget it, especially with it being a pretty tough hole. I'll take that one." Lin revels in her moment of history.
Lin etched her name into the record books with a crisp strike at the par-three eighth at the Rio Golf Centre and her ball bounced twice before finding the cup. It was a good spot to be for spectators as shortly after Ko followed suit on the same hole.
Friday's action in Brazil is only just getting started. At the Olympic stadium Usain Bolt will attempt to cement his legend by completing an unprecedented "triple-triple" by adding 4x100 metre relay gold with Jamaica to his individual 100 and 200m gold medals.
The women's 4x100m relay final will also be contested, while Netherlands are aiming to make it three straight women's hockey gold medals in their final against Great Britain, Spain face United States in a mouth-watering men's basketball semi-final, and Sweden face Germany in the women's gold medal football match.