Ryan Lochte and the other American swimmers caught up in an alleged armed robbery should be given a break, Rio 2016 spokesman Mario Andrada has said as questions surrounding the validity of their claims persist.
The alleged incident took place on Sunday, after Lochte - along with compatriots James Feigen, Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger - had attended a party they were invited to by Brazilian swimmer Thiago Pereira.
However, there is increasing scepticism about the athletes' version of events, with reports on Thursday suggesting Lochte became involved in a physical confrontation with a petrol station security guard on the night in question.
CCTV footage has also been leaked which claims to show the swimmers returning to the athletes' village following the alleged incident with their possessions, casting further doubt on assertions their wallets were stolen.
Bentz and Conger were prevented from leaving Brazil and had their passports seized by police on Wednesday as investigations continue. Lochte is thought to have returned to the US, while Feigen's whereabouts are unclear.
Andrada had previously said sorry to the quartet over the incident, but insisted he did not expect any apologies in return.
"I do not regret having apologised," he said. "No apologies from him [Lochte] or other athletes are needed.
"We have to understand that these kids came here to have fun. Let's give these kids a break.
"Sometimes you make decisions that you later regret.
"They had fun, they made a mistake, life goes on."