- A sensational performance in the women's floor final saw Simone Biles earn her fourth gold medal of the Rio Olympics.
- Christian Taylor defended his men's triple jump title, as fellow American Will Claye again claimed the silver medal. Claye soon had further cause for celebration after his post-event proposal to girlfriend Queen Harrison, an American sprint hurdler, was accepted.
- Hosts Brazil were knocked out of the women's football tournament at the semi-final stage, courtesy of a penalty shoot-out defeat to Sweden, who will now face either Canada or Germany.
- Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin predictably eased through the heats of the men's 200 metres as Andre De Grasse posted the best time.
- Heptathlon champion Nafissatou Thiam announced her withdrawal from the women's high jump competition, citing mental and physical exhaustion.
QUOTES OF THE DAY
"I'm so grateful for Abbey for doing that for me. That girl is the Olympic spirit right there. I'm never going to forget that moment," - Nikki Hamblin praises Abbey D'Agostino for encouraging her to finish their women's 5000m heat after the duo had collided and fallen. Both runners were duly awarded places in the final, although D'Agostino appears unlikely to feature due to the injury she sustained.
"Are we rooming? Unfortunately not. We have to be quite strategic about our meetings," - a smiling Tiffany Porter comments on the fact her husband, fellow hurdler Jeff Porter, is also competing at Rio 2016.
"We train every day. I've been training every day since October or November. So two or three 400s, I'm alright. I'm not too tired," - LaShawn Merritt plays down any suggestions of fatigue after competing in the 200m heats two days on from the 400m final.
D'Agostino bravely finished her 5000m heat in clear discomfort after being hurt in her fall. After crossing the line, the American shared a warm embrace with Hamblin - the duo's sporting behaviour providing one of the most heart-warming moments of the games.
The action in the velodrome concludes with the finals of the women's omnium, women's sprint and men's keirin. Three gold medals will also be won in the Olympic Stadium - in the men's high jump, women's 1500m and men's 110m hurdles.