Russian shooters cleared to compete in Rio


Shooting's governing body has cleared Russian athletes to compete in the Rio Olympic Games next month.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) last week said it would be down to individual sports federations to decide whether to allow Russians to participate in Brazil after opting against imposing a blanket ban following revelations of state-sponsored doping made in the McLaren report.

The International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) on Tuesday confirmed that Russian shooters will be permitted to take part in the Games.

An ISSF statement said: "The ISSF confirms having received from WADA [the World Anti-Doping Agency] details about the three samples concerning shooting sport mentioned in the McLaren Report.

"The ISSF furthermore is relieved to confirm that these three samples had been correctly entered, at the time they were reported, into the ADAMS database as positives, that all the result management procedures had been followed and that the matters were resolved.

"It is also to be noted that none of the athletes whose samples are mentioned in the McLaren Report will participate in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

"The 18 Russian shooters who have been entered by the ROC [Russian Olympic Committee] to participate in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games are neither mentioned in the McLaren report nor have they tested positive further to a doping control according to the information we possess.  

"Further, all Russian athletes are being carefully monitored as part of ISSF's intelligence based testing program. 

"Therefore, the ISSF Executive Committee unanimously voted confirming that all 18 Russian athletes fulfil the criteria set by the IOC further to its Executive Board meeting decision of Sunday July 24th."

London 2012 gold medalist Alexander Dyachenko was among Russian canoeists to banned from competing in the Games on Tuesday due to the doping crisis.