After years of underachieving and being underappreciated, Lionel Messi has had enough.
The Barcelona forward announced his retirement from international football after Argentina were beaten by Chile on penalties in the Copa America final.
Messi in 2012: "When I stop enjoying football, I'll retire."
Last night he stopped enjoying it with Argentina... pic.twitter.com/Bc3vhDTnza
-- BreatheSport (@BreatheSport) June 27, 2016
It probably wasn't the news that Messi fans wanted or expected to wake up to.
So let's all join together and wallow in the sadness as we take in some of the most heartbreaking pictures of one of the world's greatest footballers from that defeat.
1. During extra time, Messi realised things might not be going his way when he missed a free-kick.
2. But that was nothing compared to the moment Messi missed a spot-kick in the penalty shoot-out.
3. Leo, what have you done?
4. And then when the defeat was confirmed, it was more than he could take.
5. Seriously, some of these are tough to look at.
6. Then he just had to sit and watch as Chile celebrated.
7. Messi did his best to maintain his dignity as he collected a runners-up medal he clearly didn't want.
8. But he couldn't take it off quick enough.
9. And this is what the best player in the world looks like as he contemplates jacking it all in.
Farewell, sweet prince. International football won't be the same without you.
Fans reject Messi's international retirement; demand a referendum on "Mexit"
-- Binary Baba(TM) v3.1 (@0__1) June 27, 2016