England Test batsman Nick Compton is to take an indefinite break from cricket after suffering a loss of form since returning to the international stage.
Compton made a promising start after the 32-year-old was recalled to the Test squad for the tour of South Africa following an absence of over two years.
The Middlesex batsman scored 85 and 49 in the first Test against the Proteas at the end of last year, but was short of runs in the remainder of a series victory for Alastair Cook's side.
Compton was under pressure to make his mark during the recent series against Sri Lanka, but fell cheaply in all three Tests and was tipped to be dropped for the upcoming series against Pakistan.
Middlesex revealed on Thursday that the South Africa-born Compton is to be given time away from the game, with no indication of when he will return.
A statement from the county said: "Middlesex County Cricket Club and the England Cricket Team management have agreed for Nick Compton to be given a period of time away from cricket.
"Following a challenging start to the 2016 season, both physically and mentally, it has been agreed that the best way forward is for Compton to spend some time away from the game."
Middlesex managing director of cricket Angus Fraser said: "Nick sets himself very high standards and makes a huge commitment to cricket.
"We all believe that some time away from the game now will allow him to refresh, recharge and return to play the sort of cricket we all know he is capable of producing.
"During this period Nick will receive the full support of Middlesex CCC and the England Cricket Team Management."