NSW Police won't rush NRL match-fixing probe


Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn said New South Wales Police will not approach the Manly Sea Eagles until the time is right amid its match-fixing probe.

Manly are under the spotlight after reports cited two Sea Eagles matches as part of the state police's investigation into alleged match-fixing.

The Organised Crime Squad is "in the early stages of examining information" and Burn insisted the process will not be rushed after Sea Eagles chief executive Joe Kelly urged police to accelerate the probe.

"There is no task force at present but we have the best organised crime detectives conducting their own investigation and I am confident that if there is evidence of fixing matches, we will find the perpetrators," Burn told the Daily Telegraph.

"They are in the early stages of the investigation and will not go to Manly until they need answers that will come from the club."

Meanwhile, the action of five Parramatta Eels officials against the NRL was dismissed by the NSW Supreme Court on Tuesday.

Chairman Steve Sharp, chief executive John Boulous, deputy chairman Tom Issa, director Peter Serrao and football manager Daniel Anderson attempted to block the NRL's move to deregister them from the competition following Parramatta's salary cap breach last month, but the court upheld the decision.

Justice James Stevenson rejected the officials' claims they had not been afforded procedural fairness.

The quintet now have until Wednesday to show cause why they should not be deregistered.

The Eels, meanwhile, have until Friday to respond to their breach notice in regards to the deduction of 12 competition points and the heavy fine.