Narine revels in triumphant Windies return


Sunil Narine said he was delighted to be back playing international cricket after his man-of-the-match performance helped West Indies see off South Africa in Friday's opening one-day international.

Narine claimed career-best figures of 6-27 as the Windies defeated South Africa by four wickets in the spinner's first international match since November last year.

The 28-year-old had been suspended from bowling for West Indies after his action was found to be illegal by the International Cricket Council.

But back in the fold, Narine revelled in his return as hosts the Windies successfully chased down South Africa's 188-run total with 11 balls to spare.

"It's good to get the West Indies colours on and get the wickets. Feels really nice to be among wickets," Narine said.

"I don't think there is a secret to my bowling. Just back your strengths and give your 100 per cent.

"It's always frustrating watching cricket from the sidelines but you need to train hard and always focus on coming back strong. I can say I have remodelled my action around 70-80 percent.

"They both are class teams and we have to bring out our best in the remaining games."

After missing West Indies' successful World Twenty20 campaign, batsman Kieron Pollard also came up big for the home team.

Pollard hit an unbeaten 67 as the Windies posted 191-6, in reply to the Proteas at Providence.

Windies captain Jason Holder, who hit the winning boundary, added: "It's a very good win and it's always nice to start the tournament off with a win.

"I thought they started well with the bat but we did well to pull things back towards the end. Kieron just played a brilliant innings, it was pleasing to see the way guys are composed. The batters could have done it a little bit easier, should have rotated the strike more often I reckon.

"These two teams are top-class teams and you can never consider them lightly. He [Pollard] played his game, backed himself and that's his game. Showed how good a batsman he is."