Kyrgios was asked to 'please explain', says Chiller


Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) chef de mission Kitty Chiller insists Nick Kyrgios was not pushed into pulling out of contention for Rio 2016. 

Kyrgios announced his withdrawal from the Olympic Games on Friday, citing "unfair and unjust treatment" by the AOC.

The world number 19, among others, had been "on watch" by the AOC, but said no officials had reached out to him.

However, Chiller revealed Kyrgios was sent a letter on Monday asking the 21-year-old to "explain" himself over his on-court behaviour, which the former has publicly condemned.

"We have treated everyone fairly and justly and consistently. He's been given every opportunity. We have reached out to him," Chiller told the Seven Network on Saturday.

"He was sent a letter, as were two other people, asking him to basically please explain and he chose to respond in this way."

Chiller also took aim at Tennis Australia (TA), who has long supported Kyrgios in his push for a spot in Rio. 

"For Tennis Australia to say he's an athlete of good standing, I find it difficult," she added.