Kyrgios criticism unjust - Woodbridge


Criticism of Nick Kyrgios at the Madrid Masters was unfair, according to Australian doubles great Todd Woodbridge.

Bernard Tomic's attempt to return serve with his racquet handle in his first-round loss in Spain led to further discussions about the troubled Aussie duo.

Kyrgios' arguing over a line call in his win over Stan Wawrinka was as bad as his behaviour got as he impressively reached the quarter-finals at the ATP 1000 event.

Woodbridge, a 16-time men's doubles grand-slam champion, said dragging the 21-year-old Kyrgios into the conversation was unjust.

"He was in the press last week for having a discussion about a line call, but if we had watched every other player last week they would've been the same," he said on Wednesday.

"I think Nick's going about everything the right way.

"He's planning his schedule, it's very important for him to stay fresh. When he's fresh, his mind's fresh and he plays well.

"He's doing everything right and for him to be lumped into what was in the media last week, I think that was a pretty unfair assessment given what he has done this year."

Tomic's behaviour led to Australian Olympic Committee chef de mission Kitty Chiller putting both on notice ahead of the Rio Games.

Woodbridge, who said Tomic was struggling as usual during the clay-court season, believes it is too early to decide on the pair for the Olympics.

"We've got another about eight weeks or so before selection is done," he said.

"There's a lot of tennis to be played, a lot of water to go under the bridge before we get to a point whether we have to discuss who is and isn't in the team.

"Right now, like when you play Davis Cup for Australia, you want your best players to be out there. Let's see what they do in these next six weeks."

The June 6 rankings release is set to decide who qualifies to feature at the Games.

Tomic's retirement just eight minutes into his first-round clash against Benoit Paire at the Internazionali d'Italia may have harmed his chances.