Khan admits he lacks power to hurt Alvarez


Amir Khan admits he may lack the power to trouble Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez, but insists his speed and movement will be key in their WBC middleweight title fight in Las Vegas on Saturday.

The 29-year-old Khan is jumping two weight classes to challenge Alvarez, having never fought about welterweight previously.

Despite the difference and his underdog status, Khan remains confident he can defeat the Mexican, whose only defeat was by Floyd Mayweather in 2013.

"I'm going to hit Canelo and he's probably not going to feel it, but skill is going to win it," the Brit said on Wednesday. 

"I don't want to be involved in exchanges, standing in front of him giving him free shots. I know he can hurt me with one big shot.

"So I have to make sure I'm balanced when I'm throwing my own shots. It's all about being disciplined and sticking to the game-plan for 12 rounds.

"Before, I've not respected guys who have knocked me down or out. This fight I know I can be hurt so I'll be on the edge and my defences will be sharper.

"A fight against Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao would have been easier because they're my weight, so physically I would have been stronger.

"Canelo is going to be stronger, but things I have that are better than him are speed and movement."

However, Alvarez warned Khan his game is not just about power. 

"I'll show a lot more than power, you'll see," the 25-year-old said. "I bring speed as well. Whatever he brings, I'm prepared for. My best years are yet to come."