Jaylon Smith and Christian Hackenberg were surprise picks in the second round of the NFL Draft as Myles Jack's slide finally came to an end.
Notre Dame linebacker Smith was not expected to be drafted until day three after he tore his anterior cruciate ligament and lateral cruciate ligament in January. He is not anticipated to play in 2016 because of nerve damage relating to the injury.
But the Dallas Cowboys took a chance on Smith by selecting him with the number 34 overall pick, with fellow linebacker Jack - who fell out of the first round because of fears he may require microfracture surgery on his knee - going two picks later to the Jacksonville Jaguars.
The addition of Jack follows that of cornerback Jalen Ramsey, who the Jaguars took fifth overall in the first round, and should greatly improve the defense of a Jacksonville team that boasts a potent passing offense.
Away from the picks of Smith and Jack it was the New York Jets' selection of Penn State quarterback Hackenberg that proved the other major story of the second round and raised eyebrows among many.
Hackenberg has been widely critiqued for his lack of accuracy but possesses excellent arm strength and heads to a Jets team yet to re-sign quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick despite him leading New York to a 10-6 record in 2015.
Heisman Trophy-winning running back Derrick Henry was one of four Alabama players to go in the second round as he was taken by the Tennessee Titans, with college team-mate Cyrus Jones the first pick of the New England Patriots, who were stripped of their opening-rounder for the 'Deflategate' scandal.
Emmanuel Ogbah was the first name called on Friday, the Oklahoma State defender one of a number of pass rushers to fly off the board as he went to the Cleveland Browns, who also added a quarterback into the mix.
The Browns took USC's Cody Kessler in round three, and it will be intriguing to see if he competes with Robert Griffin III for the starting job in Cleveland.
Having already drafted Will Fuller in the first round, the Houston Texans brought in another speedster at receiver for Brock Osweiler to throw to in the form of Braxton Miller from Ohio State.
Ohio State set a draft record with 10 players going in the first three rounds.
Meanwhile, the New York Giants added a talented to receiver to pair with Odell Beckham Jr. by selecting Sterling Shepard from Oklahoma with their second-rounder.
Full List of Picks:
32. Cleveland Browns - Emmanuel Ogbah, DE
33. Tennessee Titans - Kevin Dodd, DE
34. Dallas Cowboys - Jaylon Smith, OLB
35. San Diego Chargers - Hunter Henry, TE
36. Jacksonville Jaguars (via trade with Baltimore Ravens) - Myles Jack, OLB
37. Kansas City Chiefs (via trade with San Francisco 49ers) - Chris Jones, DT
38. Miami Dolphins (via trade with Baltimore Ravens) - Xavien Howard, CB
39. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Noah Spence, DE
40. New York Giants - Sterling Shepard, WR
41. Buffalo Bills (via trade with Chicago Bears) - Reggie Ragland, ILB
42. Baltimore Ravens (via trade with Miami Dolphins) - Kamalei Correa, DE
43. Tennessee Titans - Austin Johnson, NT
44. Oakland Raiders - Jihad Ward, DE
45. Tennessee Titans - Derrick Henry, RB
46. Detroit Lions - A'Shawn Robinson, DT
47. New Orelans Saints - Michael Thomas, WR
48. Green Bay Packers (via trade with Indianapolis Colts) - Jason Spriggs, OT
49. Seattle Seahawks (via trade with Chicago Bears) - Jarran Reed, DT
50. Houston Texans (via trade with Atlanta Falcons) - Nick Martin, C
51. New York Jets - Christian Hackenberg, QB
52. Atlanta Falcons (via trade with Houston Texans) - Deion Jones, OLB
53. Washington Redskins - Su'a Cravens, OLB
54. Minnesota Vikings - Mackensie Alexander, CB
55. Cincinnati Bengals - Tyler Boyd, WR
56. Chicago Bears (via trade with Seattle Seahawks) - Cody Whitehair, OG
57. Indianapolis Colts (via trade with Green Bay Packers) - T.J. Green, S
58. Pittsburgh Steelers - Sean Davis, CB
59. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (via trade with Kansas City Chiefs - Roberto Aguayo, K
60 New England Patriots - Cyrus Jones, CB
61. New Orleans Saints (via trade with New England Patriots) - Vonn Bell, S
62. Carolina Panthers - James Bradberry, CB
63. Denver Broncos - Adam Gotsis, DT
64. Tennessee Titans - Kevin Byard, S
65. Cleveland Browns - Carl Nassib, DE
66. San Diego Chargers - Max Tuerk, C
67. Dallas Cowboys - Maliek Collins, DT
68. San Francisco 49ers - Will Redmond, CB
69. Jacksonville Jaguars - Yannick Ngakoue, DE
70. Baltimore Ravens - Bronson Kaufusi, DE
71. New York Giants - Darian Thompson, S
72. Chicago Bears - Jonathan Bullard, DT
73. Miami Dolphins - Kenyan Drake, RB
74. Kansas City Chiefs (via trade with Tampa Bay Buccaneers - KeiVarae Russell, CB
75. Oakland Raiders - Shilique Calhoun, DE
76. Cleveland Browns - Shon Coleman, OT
77. Carolina Panthers (via trade with Cleveland Browns) - Daryl Worley, CB
78. New England Patriots (via trade with New Orleans Saints) - Joe Thuney, OG
79. Philadelphia Eagles - Isaac Seumalo, OG
80. Buffalo Bills - Adolphus Washington, DT
81. Atlanta Falcons - Austin Hooper, TE
82. Indianapolis Colts - Le'Raven Clark, OT
83. New York Jets - Jordan Jenkins, OLB
84. Washington Redskins - Kendall Fuller, CB
85. Houston Texans - Braxton Miller, WR
86. Miami Dolphins (via trade with Minnesota Vikings) - Leonte Carroo, WR
87. Cincinnati Bengals - Nick Vigil, ILB
88. Green Bay Packers - Kyler Fackrell, OLB
89. Pittsburgh Steelers - Javon Hargrave, DT
90. Seattle Seahawks - C.J. Prosise, RB
91. New England Patriots - Jacoby Brissett, QB
92. Arizona Cardinals - Brandon Williams, CB
93. Cleveland Browns - Cody Kessler, QB
94. Seattle Seahawks - Nick Vannett, TE
95. Detroit Lions - Graham Glasgow, C
96. New England Patriots - Vincent Valentine, DT
97. Seattle Seahawks - Rees Odihambo, OG
98. Denver Broncos - Justin Simmons, S