Guillermo Garcia-Lopez was no match for Roger Federer, who eased back into action at the Monte Carlo Masters on Tuesday with a straight-sets success.
The Swiss, a four-time losing finalist at this event, made his long-awaited comeback following knee surgery and a subsequent illness, which ruled him out of the Miami Open.
But on his first appearance since the Australian Open, Federer had little trouble in overcoming his opponent, romping to a 6-3 6-4 success in an hour and a quarter.
Andy Murray also progressed to the third round, although he was made to work hard by world number 95 Pierre-Hugues Herbert before eventually prevailing 6-2 4-6 6-3.
Earlier on Tuesday, world number eight David Ferrer - runner-up five years ago - pulled out of the tournament due to a calf injury.
FEDERER GLAD TO BE BACK
In action for the first time since his Australian Open semi-final defeat to Novak Djokovic, Federer was happy to make his return on the picturesque clay courts in Monte Carlo.
"Relieved is not the right word I think," he said. "It was nice to be back in a game after all the time I spent at home. It was ideal as a return to the circuit. I am very well trained in the last two to three weeks.
"I was a little nervous at the beginning and at the end...Find the highest level with the best players in the world, that's what I like most. I'm very happy with how I felt, how I played, how I served. The knee is strong."
MURRAY SEEKS CONSISTENCY
After a strong first set, Murray's performance dipped in the second as he allowed Herbert back into the contest, before booking a third-round tie with Benoit Paire or Joao Sousa.
"I expected it to be a tough match from the beginning but in the first set he didn't serve well - I think that he served about 35 per cent first serves," Murray said. "Then in the second, he did that a bit better but I was making too many mistakes getting broken a few times."
"I played some good tennis at times but I was also a bit up and down and you need to be a bit more consistent than that on this surface."
STAN THE MAN COOKS UP A STORM
Stan Wawrinka made the most of his day off, preparing for his second-round tie by visiting chef Marcel Ravin in the trendy Michelin-star rated Blue Bay restaurant in Monaco.
The Swiss, champion here two years ago, will hope he can come up with another recipe for success when he takes on Philipp Kohlschreiber on Wednesday.
Defending champion Djokovic - fresh from his triumph in Miami - starts against Jiri Vesely, who came from a set down to see off Teymuraz Gabashvili in the opening round.
Meanwhile Rafael Nadal, who won this tournament eight years in a row between 2005 and 2012, begins his campaign against Aljaz Bedene on Wednesday.