Origin bans justified, says Queensland captain Smith


Queensland captain Cameron Smith says the State of Origin bans handed out to eight players for breaking curfew is justified as they showed a "lack of respect".

Ben Hunt, Anthony Milford, Jarrod Wallace, Dylan Napa, Edrick Lee and Chris Grevsmuhl were suspended for 12 months on Saturday following the same sanctions being issued to Valentine Holmes and Cameron Munster last week.

The players were found to have broken curfew by sneaking out of an Emerging Maroons camp and skipper Smith says their actions were disrespectful to coach Kevin Walters.

"At the end of the day it showed a lack of respect for the coach, a lack of respect for the guys who had been there a long time and built a successful system, who have played in the jersey before us like Wally [Lewis]," Smith said.

"I think we were all of the same opinion he had to make a tough stand. Those young guys will be regretting what they did."

Fellow Queensland star Greg Inglis echoed Smith's sentiments, while also stating his confidence that the Maroons have plenty of depth to cope with the bans.

"If you want to put that Maroon jersey on then you've got to do the right things," Inglis added. "It's an unfortunate event that happened but it had to be done.

"I don't think depth will be a problem at all. There definitely will be plenty waiting for their chance."

Walters stepped up from assistant to take on the full coaching role in December following the departure of Mal Meninga to the Australia national team.

And Smith says Walters will put his own stamp on the team. 

"He's not Mal Meninga and he has his own style, his own approach to how he wants to handle the squad," Smith said.

"He's a smart guy, he's not going to go in there and try and do it all himself, he's got some experienced players in that squad and he will be guided by our thoughts.

"But he will make the decisions when he needs to make them."