Mascarenhas to quit New Zealand coaching role


New Zealand bowling coach Dimitri Mascarenhas revealed he will step down from his position at the end of February, citing family reasons. 

Mascarenhas, a former England international, took over from Shane Bond in March last year. 

The 38-year-old said it was a difficult decision to step down after an "amazing" time with the team, but wanted to be closer to his family.

"It was such a great opportunity for me," he said in a New Zealand Cricket statement. "But I really need to spend more quality time with my family - they're my number one priority.

"At first I thought I could balance the responsibilities but I no longer think that's feasible. I need to be closer to my family.

"I had an amazing time with the team. It's probably been the best time I've had in cricket, either as a player or as a coach.

"In the future I hope I can revisit this sort of role. The children are young now and that's where I need to be. But it's definitely the type of job I'd like to return to."

New Zealand head coach Mike Hesson thanked Mascarenhas for his contribution to the side.

"Dimi has brought a vibrancy to the group and is well liked by everyone. We're sorry to be losing him," Hesson said. 

"We all appreciate the hard work that Dimi has put in over the past year and the knowledge he's passed on to the bowling unit.

"While obviously disappointed, we understand that family comes first and the demands of the international calendar are not always compatible with that.

"We look forward to having Dimi with us through to the end of the Australian series and wish him well in the future."

Mascarenhas' final match for the Black Caps is a test against Australia in Christchurch, starting on February 20.