Former Rooster Kennedy handed doping ban


Former Sydney Roosters prop Martin Kennedy has been handed a two-year, nine-month suspension by the NRL anti-doping tribunal.

The tribunal, which is chaired by a former Australian High Court judge, found that Kennedy had breached the policy by committing four violations.

They included, among others, the attempted use of growth hormone and the peptide SARMS S22.

The violations carry a minimum sanction of a two-year suspension, but the tribunal increased that by nine months after also finding Kennedy had engaged in conduct which amounted to aggravating circumstances under the league's anti-doping policy.

The suspension will expire on December 19, 2017, after his provisional suspension started in March last year.

NRL head of integrity Nick Weeks welcomed the tribunal's findings and said the suspension confirmed the league's hard stance on doping.

"The NRL remains committed to eliminating performance enhancing drugs in our game," Weeks said.

"Drug free sport is essential in ensuring a fair competition and a safe working environment for our players, and we will continue to take the necessary steps to achieve this.

"Today's decision of the Anti-Doping Tribunal demonstrates and furthers that effort."

Kennedy has 21 days to appeal the ruling to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.