Renault have "no chance" of fighting for podiums in 2016, according to one-time grand prix winner Jean Alesi.
The French manufacturer completed a takeover of Lotus last month, making their return to Formula One after a four-year absence.
Alesi, who raced for the Renault-powered Benetton team in 1996 and 1997, said it will take some time for the team to start competing at the front of the grid.
"No chance [of a podium] in 2016 - they have to re-create the team and it is going to be a transitional period," the 51-year-old told Motorsport.com.
The Frenchman was pleased with the return of Renault as a works team in F1, and said it is an important step for the country in the motorsport world.
"This is very important for [France], because we used to have in the past grands prix," Alesi added.
"And now with the comeback of Renault, not only for the next year but for the long-term future, it will be very helpful for France."
The 2016 F1 season begins in Australia on March 20.