Johnson calls time on international career


Australia paceman Mitchell Johnson has announced his retirement from international cricket.

The 34-year-old said ahead of the second Test against New Zealand at the WACA that he had been thinking about calling time on his career "most days".

Johnson confirmed on Tuesday that his 73rd appearance in the longest format of the game was his last, having also played 153 one-day internationals and 30 Twenty20s.

"I feel now is the best time to say goodbye," Johnson said in a statement.

"I have been lucky enough to have had a wonderful career and enjoyed every moment of playing for my country. It's been an incredible ride.

"But the ride has to come to an end at some point and to do so here at the WACA is very special.

"I've given the decision a lot of thought. Beyond this match, I'm just not sure that I can continue competing consistently at the level required to wear the baggy green.

"My career has certainly had its up and downs but I can honestly say I have given it my all and am proud of everything I have achieved. To win an Ashes series and a Cricket World Cup is something I will treasure forever."

The left-arm quick is fourth on the list of leading Test wicket-takers for Australia with 311 heading into day five of the second Test.

He claimed Test-best figures of 8-61 against South Africa at the WACA seven years ago and took 10 wickets in match three times, as well as claiming 12 five-wicket hauls.

Johnson took 239 ODI wickets and 38 in T20Is.

Johnson - who made his Test debut against Sri Lanka in November 2007, also made some important contributions with the bat, scoring one century and passing 50 on 11 occasions in five-day matches.