Untimely fart 'leaves women with serious burns during surgery'

Updated: 

A patient's fart that escaped during surgery started a fire and caused serious burns to her body, a Tokyo hospital has reported.

Japanese media has said that the patient - a woman in her 30s - was having a form of laser surgery on her cervix at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital.

Generic health pic
(Andrew Parsons/PA Archive)

Unfortunately the woman let one slip during the op, allegedly causing the fart to ignite the laser. The resulting fire left her with serious burns to much of her body, including her waist and legs.

The incident is believed to have happened in the hospital's Shinjuku Ward in April, but the details have only been released recently following an investigation by a committee of experts into the flames.

The findings showed that no flammable materials were in the operating theatre during the surgery and there was no fault with the equipment used.

The report said: "When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire."

The exact condition of the patient is currently unknown.