Children from the Calais 'Jungle' are set to arrive in Britain next week


With plans for the Calais "Jungle" to be demolished, a host of young refugees will be transferred to Britain next week.

French authorities are poised to begin work to dismantle the site after President Francois Hollande said it would be removed by the end of the year.

Earlier this week Home Secretary Amber Rudd confirmed she had stressed to her French counterpart that children eligible to come to the UK should be moved out of the camp before the demolition process starts.

Amber Rudd

David Simmonds, chairman of the Local Government Association's asylum, refugee and migration task group, said councils have a strong record of supporting children travelling alone.

"The number of unaccompanied asylum seeking children living in England increased by more than 60% to over 4,000 in the last year, and the vast majority of councils are already providing care and support for these vulnerable children and young people," he said.

"Many will have also experienced horrendous conditions within and since fleeing their country of origin, so councils will want to ensure they are able to settle into communities as quickly and easily as possible with ongoing support made available when they need it."

Migrant crisis

Campaigners say they have identified hundreds of children in the camp who have a right to come to Britain - either because they have family ties here under the so-called Dublin regulations, or through a programme to give refuge to unaccompanied minors from Europe.

The Government has faced criticism over efforts to identify and transfer youngsters through the routes.

Jungle, Calais

Rudd told the Commons on Monday that more than 80 unaccompanied children had been accepted for transfer under the Dublin regulation so far this year.

The Home Secretary also said that more than 50 children had been taken, largely from Greece, under Lord Dubs' amendment to the Immigration Act.