London nightclub Fabric temporarily closed after two suspected drug-related deaths


One of London's biggest nightclubs is to temporarily close after two teenagers died of suspected drug overdoses in the last nine weeks.

Fabric nightclub in Farringdon, central London, will close this weekend so it can work with police to investigate the deaths, organisers said.

A statement on the club's website said: "For the past two years Fabric has operated without incident but tragically in the past nine weeks two 18-year-old boys have died as a consequence of drug overdoses.

"In order to understand how this has happened we have agreed with the police and other agencies to suspend our operation whilst we investigate. The club will therefore be closed this weekend."

NEWSFLASH: The Club Will Be Closed This Weekend

Last week, police were called to an east London hospital after an 18-year-old became unwell outside a nightclub in Islington, north London at around 8.20am on Saturday August 6, the Metropolitan Police said. He died shortly after.

Police and the ambulance service were called to Fabric at 2.03am on Saturday June 25 after an 18-year-old collapsed. He was taken to an east London hospital where he later died.

Post-mortem examinations for both teenagers will be held in due course, the Met said, adding the decision to close was made solely by the nightclub.

The club said it will make a statement next week and anyone with a ticket for the weekend would be refunded.

It is unclear whether the closure will extend past the weekend.

fabric 06/08/2016 Scuba, Phil Kieran ...

Police made an application to Islington Council for a summary review of Fabric's licence on August 10 due to "concerns about serious crime" associated with the nightclub, Scotland Yard said in a statement.

"As a result, the licensing sub-committee have decided to suspend the licence as an interim measure, pending a full review hearing.

"Officers felt the need to act due to concerns about the safety of those attending the club because of the supply of class A drugs in the venue and the recent deaths of two young men linked to the club."

The council's licensing committee will review the licence in due course, police added.