Gunman 'possibly' among nine killed in Munich shopping centre shooting


Nine people have been killed, possibly including the gunman, in a shopping centre shooting in Munich, police said.

At least 10 others were injured after multiple shots were fired on Hanauer Street before the attack moved to the Olympia Einkaufszentrum shopping centre in the south German city at about 6pm on Friday.

It remains unclear whether other attackers are on the run, after reports that at least three gunmen were involved.

Unverified video footage appeared to show a man opening fire at people outside a McDonald's restaurant near to the shopping centre. 

The sound of multiple shots being fired can be heard as shoppers and passers-by run for cover.

People were seen fleeing from the building in another video posted on social media.

Munich Police confirmed that there had been nine deaths and at least 10 people had been injured, adding: "Police operations are still running. The situation is still not clear."

"We are verifying the possibility of one dead person being involved in the shooting," the force said.

Police are urging people to avoid public places and said that they could not confirm if there were other crime scenes apart from Hanauer Street.

The force also tweeted: "Please don't take Fotos or Video of Police Action in order to avoid any helpful Information for the suspects."

Police have responded to the attack in large numbers. Dozens of vehicles can be seen lining the street outside the shopping centre, and a number of armed officers and a helicopter are at the scene.

A cordon was put in place and the area has been evacuated.

Rail travel and public transport in the city has been stopped and Munich's central station has been closed, according to local media. 

Drivers have been urged to clear the motorways around Munich, and nightclubs in the city will remain closed on Friday night, local media said. 

Refuge has been offered to people stranded around the city via social media, under the hashtag #OffeneTur - or #OpenDoor - inviting people to stay if they are unable to get home.

Facebook's Safety Check feature has also been activated so that people can let friends and family know that they are safe.

The shopping centre in the northern part of Munich is not far from the city's Olympic stadium in the Moosach district of the Bavarian capital.

British nationals in Germany are being advised to comply with instructions from local authorities.

A British Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are urgently seeking further information following the ongoing incident in Munich. We are in touch with the relevant authorities."

Munich Police previously said in a statement: "At around ten to six today there were witnesses who called the police and said there was a shooting at the Hanauer Street.

"The shooting moved from that street to the shopping centre. The witnesses said there were three different people with weapons."

The attack took place on the fifth anniversary of the lone wolf terrorist attacks by Anders Behring Breivik in Norway in which 77 people were killed. 

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said: "I am shocked and appalled by the terrible attack unfolding this evening in Munich, and the loss of life.

"My thoughts are with those injured and the families of those killed. We stand ready to assist our friends in Germany.

"Our travel advice to UK nationals in the area tonight is to stay indoors and follow the advice of the local authorities."

German Chancellor Angela Merkel is expected to chair a meeting of the government's security council on Saturday.

The killings come after a 17-year-old Afghan asylum seeker launched an axe and knife attack on passengers on a train in Wuerzburg, southern Germany on Monday.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack in which five people were injured. The teenage axeman, Riaz Khan Ahmadzai, was shot dead by police.