Nice attack death toll could rise as 18 remain in critical condition


The death toll following the Bastille Day lorry attack in Nice could still rise as 18 people are still in a life-threatening condition in hospital.

According to French health minister, Marisol Touraine, a total of 85 people are still in hospital as a result of their injuries, with 18 in a life-threatening condition.

On Sunday, French authorities said that 16 of those killed and one person wounded have still yet to be identified.

It is still unclear how many Britons have been caught up in the massacre, caused when French-Tunisian father-of-three Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel drove the hired vehicle into crowds celebrating the French national day, resulting in at least 84 deaths. Bouhel was subsequently killed in a shoot-out with police.

Staff assist people at the Hopital Pasteur in Nice.

Speaking to reporters in Nice on Sunday, Touraine said while scores of people who were taken to hospital have been released, some may need further medical treatment as their injuries heal.

Crying relatives hugged each other outside the Hopital Pasteur on Sunday as they learned news of their loved ones.

A medical student who volunteered to help at the hospital said he had been one of many who helped with the bodies.

The 21-year-old, who did not wish to give his name, said: "It was all about helping identify and move bodies, dead bodies."

The apartment block where Bouhlel lived.

Six people remain in custody following the attack on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice on Thursday. A seventh person - Bouhlel's estranged wife and mother of his children, who was in the process of divorcing him - has been released from custody.

Interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve, who announced 12,000 extra police reserves are being called up alongside the 120,000 police and soldiers already in place across the country, said Bouhlel appeared to have been radicalised only recently.

Speaking in St Peter's Square in the Vatican on Sunday morning, Pope Francis prayed for the end of "terror and death" of innocents as he expressed closeness to families and all of France mourning the loss of lives.

Tributes continue on the Promenade des Anglais.

He told the public that "sorrow is great in our hearts" and prayed that God "disperse every plan for terror and for death, so that no man dare spill more blood of his brother".