The results are in and 51.9% of those who voted in the referendum have chosen to leave the European Union, leaving 48.1% of voters without the result they wanted.
With such a close verdict, those who voted Remain have taken to Twitter to vent their frustration and share their sadness using the hashtag #notinmyname.
The majority of the tweets focused on the proportion of voters who hadn't received the result they had voted for.
Surely this is too close for any real action to take place?! Referendum was advisory not binding! #notinmyname
-- Carolyn Usher (@Yoga_Carolyn) June 24, 2016
Devastated. Feel sick with worry for our future. This country, and even the world, are swinging to the right wing. #NotInMyName
-- Karen (@MrsXXV25) June 24, 2016
You know how we read history textbooks and laugh at how stupid people were? That's gonna be our kids #NotInMyName
-- a levels are killing (@2quidhmk) June 24, 2016
The younger generation laid the blame at the door of the baby boomers.
Our generation's future has been largely decided by those who won't be affected in the long term. Our country is unrecognisable #NotInMyName
-- katie (@Kaaaaatie_x) June 24, 2016
YOUNG: poor retirement prospects, can't buy property OLD: big retirement pots, homeowners, who can take risks (with our future) #NotInMyName
-- Joe (@swptn) June 24, 2016
-- Anna Watton (@Annawatton) June 24, 2016
-- Emma.L.FitzGerald (@ElfieKawaii) June 24, 2016
People under 16, who were ineligible to vote in the referendum, decried that they were not given a say in their future.
#NotInMyName The views of the old and disillusioned do not represent me or others of my age, who were denied a vote on our future.
-- Jess (@indigocas) June 24, 2016