More than 100 people have been killed and around 200 others injured in a series of attacks in Syria.
The Islamic State terrorist group claimed it was responsible after bus stations and a hospital in government-held towns and cities on the coast were targeted.
At least one suicide bomber and a car bomb struck at a bus station in Tartus, according to Syrian state media. An interior ministry official said more than 33 people were killed and many injured.
Syria news agency Sana said there were four explosions in Jableh, south of Latakia city. The attacks included three rockets and a suicide bomber at the emergency entrance of the Jableh national hospital, the state media said.
-- Twitter Moments (@TwitterMoments) May 23, 2016
The explosions in the cities of Tartus and Jableh were the first to target civilians in those areas in the course of Syria's civil war, now in its sixth year.
The targets included bus stations and a hospital, and mark an escalation in the conflict as world powers struggle to restart peace talks in Geneva. Several rounds of talks were held in the Swiss city earlier this year, although there was no breakthrough.
The coordinated and near-simultaneous attacks marked a major security breach of government strongholds that have remained calm throughout the war. Tartus and Jableh are home to thousands of internally displaced people from violence-stricken areas across Syria.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition monitoring group based in Britain, put the death toll at more than 100. It said there were four explosions in Jableh, including three suicide bombings and one car bomb, and four in Tartus, including two suicide bombers and one car bomb.
In Jableh, dozens were killed when a car bomb exploded near a bus station, followed by a suicide bomber who detonated his explosive belt inside the station.
Horrifying news from Syria.
The terrorist rebels are blowing civilians up in Tartous/Jabla since early morning. At least 75 killed so far.
-- Rana H. (@RanaHarbi) May 23, 2016
-- Riam Dalati (@Dalatrm) May 23, 2016
Meanwhile, two men blew themselves up at the electricity company and outside the emergency entrance of a city hospital. Dozens more were killed in Tartus when a car bomb went off in the bus station, and then two men blew themselves up when people gathered, according to the Observatory.
Syrian cabinet minister Omran al-Zoubi said: "We will not be deterred... we will use everything we have to fight the terrorists."
A news agency linked with the Islamic State group said the group's militants were behind the multiple attacks.