Unexploded wartime bomb found in Bath playground made safe


An unexploded wartime device which was found in a school playground in Bath has been made safe.

Police said the 500lb shell had been de-activated by experts from the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) unit.

The exclusion zone in the city will remain in place while the bomb is removed from the site and taken out of Bath to be disposed of in a controlled manner.

Chief Superintendent Ian Smith, Area Commander for Bath, thanked residents and local businesses who had been affected by the incident.

site where bomb was found

"Thank you for your patience, co-operation and support throughout the last 24 hours," he said.

"We have worked as quickly and diligently as possible to limit the disruption caused but, as you can expect with an incident of this nature, public safety has to be our primary concern.

"As soon as the cordon is removed and all roads are clear, we will update all the local residents so they can return home."

site where bomb was found

A 300-metre exclusion zone was set up following the discovery at the Royal High School Bath - which Mary Berry attended - on Lansdown Road, Bath, at 4.40pm on Thursday.

Contractors unearthed the 500lb Second World War shell from beneath the surface of the school's playground, which had been in use until two years ago.

site where bomb was found

Residents from 1,100 properties nearby were advised to leave immediately upon the bomb's discovery.

Three primary schools were closed, along with a doctor's surgery, and drivers were asked to consider if it was "absolutely necessary" for them to travel into the city.